TNQ Cover: Time to Vote!

Once again, I want to thank everyone who submitted a photo for the cover of TNQ No. 115, “On the Road.” I was thrilled by the range and quality of the submissions. It took some doing for me to get it down to 8 possible covers—and it was much, much harder to narrow it down to these three images. Consequently, I would like to keep all of the photos I received on file for potential use in future issues and/or covers. (If any of you, dear photographers, would prefer for me not to keep your submission, please write me at managing.editor(at)tnq.ca).

And now, without any further ado, here are the photos for your consideration, in no particular order:

Option No. 1

Option No. 2

Option No. 3

[poll id="2"]

Thank you for voting! TNQ Issue 115, featuring the winning photo, will be on newsstands (and in mailboxes) end of July/early August.

What's new at TNQ?

Share the love!

16 Comments to TNQ Cover: Time to Vote!

1. June 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Rosalynn,

I definitely prefer TRAVELLERS, it has such great momentum, even speed, a rush to something fascinating or maybe these two are (only) almost too late to catch a boat or a train.

CAR IN A FIELD is wonderful too. Static, but in a poetic way, perhaps even in too poetic a way, but with the surreal and ominous touch of the head-shaped hole above the driver’s seat…It’s terrific, really, but I’m sticking with the travellers…

2. Paul Liddy's Gravatar Paul Liddy
    June 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

#3 is a metaphor for loneliness. It stand’s alone in a wheat field. A broken windshield. Much like Van Gogh.
    Paul Liddy

3. June 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

i really like all three images. the one of the bus stop is a sweet image, but i don’t think it would actually look great as the cover of a magazine… option 3 is sweet. that’s who i voted for, and you and all your friends should too.

4. Jeff Labine's Gravatar Jeff Labine
    June 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I definitely dig the car in the field. I liked the run down feel as well as the thought of something old being forgotten and nature taking it back.

5. June 21, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

NO NO NO! Bus Stop. Pick bus stop. I’ve that was on a magazine, I’d buy it on impulse.

6. June 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

CAR IN A FIELD. Something about the power of remembering past beginnings and journeys that lead us to where we are– always in the place of another new beginning. Vehicles change, the ‘trips’ go on.

7. Terri Ternoey's Gravatar Terri Ternoey
    June 21, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Definitely the car.

8. Sherri's Gravatar Sherri
    June 22, 2010 at 6:30 am | Permalink

I vote for the car in the field. I look at it and wonder about the times surrounding its life.

9. Captain Superman's Gravatar Captain Superman
    June 22, 2010 at 9:41 am | Permalink

I think number one says nothing, number two says extreme angles wahoo and three says “hey look at me I’m tow-mater from the movie cars,” so my vote to number three for not being a boring sack of shit.

10. June 22, 2010 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I’m with #2.

#1 is an image of an airport, I personally don’t think of flight when I hit the road, or am on the road, or really doing anything road related.

#2 has an urban energy, an stunning colour and composition.

#3 I feel like I have seen this on plaque-mounted wall hangings available at IKEA, or on greating cards that end up in the “Father” section but are blank inside. I get it, it’s a truck, it used to roll on a road, but other than that, it lacks any kind of thrill or excitement, it kind of makes me sad, and a little sleepy, like vodka, but without the outbursts and vomiting.

11. June 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

scrap that. i vote for adoom decafe. that was funny.

12. patricia macdonald's Gravatar patricia macdonald
    June 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

The title, On the Road, is about movement and for that reason I like #1. I don’t think #2 would make a good cover – it is static and movement at the same time. I voted for #3 as it is such a classic photo we won’t see much of, if any ever again. It deserves a prominent space, somewhere; what better place than an excellent journal’s cover? =P

13. eric lee: landscape architect's Gravatar eric lee: landscape architect
    June 22, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I like # 1

Just the prefect match with the title! I love the setting and the movement !
    The title “On the road” means movement action and energy! I think only photo #1 gets it!

They all are great photos but I do not see “a stall truck” capture the title ! It is not moving!

Thanks you ! Great job!

14. Alan's Gravatar Alan
    June 23, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I liked #2 the best. Restless, ambiguous, colourful. A bit remote, but some interesting elements, and the subtext of “foreign-ness” and danger(??).
    #3 was static to me, and felt too melancholy. Or restful. Beautifully composed, thoughtful, and ageless. However: abandoned, and “not” travelling anymore, darn it all. That car has been there, done it all.
    #1 could have made a really good cover, but I felt it was a bit too grey. Loved its ambiguity, and movement, but it seemed undersaturated, while maybe travelling should be filled with colour and experiences from corner to corner.

Nice choices for the finals, and congrats to fellow submitters. Thanks for the chance to vote and express our reasons!

15. nik's Gravatar nik
    June 23, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

For everyone who feels that photo # 3 is “poetic” or “calm” or “static”… take a closer look – that’s a “SURE SHOT EXPLOSIVES” truck?!?!?! LOL

What do you think?